The most frequently asked questions
Is my bicycle covered as part of my contents insurance?Most people are unsure if their bicycle is currently covered under another insurance policy they may have. To find out if your bike is covered under your contents insurance, we’ve put together some questions to ask your current or potential contents insurer:
- Is my bike covered if it is stolen from the coffee shop after my ride? With a Bike Insure policy it is – bicycle must be in your direct line of sight and less than 5 metres away.
- Is my bicycle covered if I drive into a parking lot forgetting it is on my car’s roof? With a Bike Insure policy it is, subject to general terms, conditions and exclusions.
- Is my bicycle covered if I have a bad crash with my bicycle whilst competing in a race? With a Bike Insure policy it is, provided you have taken out the optional cover for racing. Subject to general terms, conditions and exclusions.
- Is my bicycle covered if it is worth more than $1,000 and stolen from my home? Bike Insure can help cover you for bicycles up to the value of $20,000 per bicycle, regardless if the bicycle was inside or outside of your home, subject to policy terms, conditions and exclusions.
Bicycle Insurance FAQs
What is personal gear?We will provide up to $500 of cover for your cycling clothes, shoes and helmet if they are damaged as a result of a crash with your bicycle. What risks am I covered for?You’re covered under your policy for:
- Damage caused by attempted theft or unintentional impact
- Loss or damage in transit for domestic travel
- Road Hazard
- Loss of damage to your bicycle while your bicycle is secured on a roof rack
- Malicious damage
- Personal gear up to $500
- Riders who use their bicycles to deliver goods, parcels, packages or for any other type of courier service
- Riders or individuals who use or hire out their bicycles for compensation or for the carriage of passengers
Why have you declined to offer me insurance?When developing our product, we establish criteria to ensure that we create a viable product which meets the needs of our customers. This criteria includes:
- Your location
- Value of the bike
- Claims history
- Do what you can to prevent any further loss, damage or cost.
- Report the incident or loss to the police if the event involves theft, attempted theft, malicious damage or impact.
- Report the incident as soon as possible by calling us on 02 9160 0219.
- Repair or replace your bicycle or item; or
- Pay you the reasonable cost of replacing or repairing your bicycle or item.
How do I know if my lock is approved? We have a simple way of working this out. The locks currently approve are:
- Specific keyed armour padded cable locks as per the approved locks list less than two years old at policy inception
- Specific keyed D-locks as per the approved locks list less than two years old at policy inception. /approved-locks
About the company
Who is Velosure?Velosure is a group of very passionate cyclists who work in the insurance industry. Our goal is to provide affordable streamlined protection for cyclists against all perils. Insurance is promoted by Bicycle Network Incorporated (AR 1284571) and administered by Velosure Pty Ltd, ABN 81 151 706 69 trading as BIKEINSURE (AR 410026). BIKEINSURE is issued and administered by the insurer, The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd. ABN 78 090 584 473, AFSL No. 241 436, and is subject to the terms and conditions of the insurance policy as set out in the Product Disclosure Statement available on this website: Bicycle PDSWho is Hollard?The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd, ABN 78 090 584 473, AFSL No. 241436 is Velosure’s underwriter for Bike Insure Bicycle Insurance policy. Hollard has been awarded 2019 ANZIIF’s large insurance company of the year.How do I contact Velosure?Phone: 02 9160 0219 Email: [email protected] Postal address: Bike Insure PO Box 199 Chatswood 2057
Problems with documents
I haven’t received my Insurance Certificate in the mail.Please allow five business days for your insurance documents to arrive via mail. If you haven’t received them by that time, please call us on 02 9160 0219. If you have arranged to have your documents sent via email, please make sure we have your correct address.I can’t open a PDF document.If you are unable to open any PDF documents, please download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Otherwise, please give us a call to request a copy by mail.
For assistance call us on
02 9160 0219
Mon-Fri 8:30am – 19:00pm (AEST)